Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My first zebra print cake....

So a co-worker of mine asked me to make this cake for her daughter's 11th birthday.  I was super excited yet nervous because it was in fact going to be my first zebra print cake.  Thankfully though my co-workers daughter printed out some pics of several she liked and I choose her most favorite cake as the one to conquer.  With every cake I bake the first thing I must do is of course make the fondant.  Which, as I've stated before is a very messy task, at least for me it is.  I make a marshmellow fondant which is just basically just a bag of melted marshmellows, a little water, and a lot of confectious sugar.
The cake was a simple white one with buttercream icing.  For the bottom tier I used an 8 inch round and for the top tier I used 6 inch rounds.  After baking the bottom tier I covered it with white fondant.  I then colored some fondant black for the zebra print.  I originally bought a zebra stencil hoping I could just outline the print but that ended up not working out because my tools were too big to fit inside the stencil.  In the end, I ended up free handing the print and it turned out better than I thought it would.

I decided to cover the base with black fondant and placed the bottom tier on top of it.  I planned on covering the circumference of the base with some zebra print ribbon I had found.

After completing the bottom tier, I turned my attention to the bow.  Now I had attempted making a bow before on a couple of cakes but this bow was going to be different.  The bow was to be sort of a neon green color.  I used only gum paste from the bow since it dries faster.  To make the bow I cut four strips of gum paste in the shape of a rectangle.  The dimensions of the strips were 2 1/2 inches by 6 inches.  I used to of the strips to make the loops.  To hold their shape, I rolled some napkins in the shape of a tube and placed them inside the loops.
To make the "legs" of the bow, I took the remaining to strips and cut triangles out of the bottoms and placed strips inside of a plastic bag to prevent them from drying out.

After I finished the bow, I turned my attention to the top tier which I covered in hot pink fondant and decorated it with black dots.

The last thing I had to worry about was the "B" that was to be place on a rhombus shaped shield.  I decided to free hand the "B" in white fondant as opposed to using my letter molds.  In the end, this had to be one of my favorite cakes to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment